Law Enforcement FAQsHere are some frequently asked questions regarding Wake ABC Law Enforement
Q: What is the age requirement regarding alcoholic beverages?
A: One must be 21 years of age to possess, consume, or purchase any alcoholic
beverage. This age requirement is consistent with all 50 States.
Q: What is the employee age requirement regarding the sale of alcoholic beverages?
A: Persons holding retail Malt Beverage, Unfortified Wine, and Fortified Wine Permits
shall have an employee who is at least 18 years old in charge of the licensed premises at all times. Persons holding Brownbagging, Mixed Beverage, and Special Occasions Permits shall have an employee who is at 21 years old in charge of the licensed premises at all times. No person under the age of 21 may be employed by any permittee to mix drinks containing spirituous liquor.
Q: What are the lawful hours regarding the sale of alcoholic beverages?
A: A permitted outlet may sale alcoholic beverages during the following times:
Monday – Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.
Sunday 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
North Carolina Law requires all ABC Stores to close no later than 9:00 p.m.
Monday Through Saturday, and to remain closed on Sundays.
Q: How much alcohol may I purchase at one time?
A: Without a permit, a person may purchase at one time:
- Not more than 80 liters of malt beverages.
- Any amount of draft malt beverages.
- Not more than 50 liters of unfortified wine.
- Not more than 8 liters of either fortified wine or spirituous liquor, or 8 liters of the two combined. With a purchase-transportation permit, a person may purchase and transport the following amounts of alcoholic beverages:
- A maximum of 100 liters of unfortified wine.
- A maximum of 40 liters of either fortified wine or spirituous liquor, or 40 liters of the two combined.
- The amount specified on the permit for a mixed beverage permittee.
A purchase-transportation permit may be obtained at no cost from the Wake County ABC Office or from any Wake County ABC Store.
Q: Who can sell alcoholic beverages?
A: It shall be unlawful for any person or business to sell or possess for sale any alcoholic beverage without first obtaining the applicable ABC permit and revenue license.
Q: How do I obtain a permit to sale alcoholic beverages?
A: All permits to sell alcoholic beverages are issued by the North Carolina ABC Commission.
You may contact them by phone at (919) 779-0700 or visit their website at www.abc.nc.gov
Once your permit has been issued you must contact your local government offices (city and county) for the appropriate revenue licenses.